Hours and Location
Psychology Undergraduate Office
125 Moore Building
University Park, PA 16802
Phone: (814) 863-1811
Fax: (814) 865-9516
The Office is staffed during normal business hours only M-F 8-5
Regular Spring & Fall Drop-In hours:
Mondays 1:30PM -3:30PM Tuesdays 10AM-11:30AM
Wednesdays 10AM-11:30AM Thursdays 1:30PM -3:30PM
**Note our last drop-in is taken at 20 minutes past the hour, as not to run over the 30 minute mark**
NO DROP IN HOURS MONDAY 2/20/17 OR WEDNESDAY 3/29/17 OR THURSDAY 3/30/17
To schedule an appointment please use our online scheduler
To make an appointment if you are not currently a psychology student, log into the scheduling system (Starfish) click on "services" go to the search bar and type in the name of one of the psychology advisers, Melissa McBrayer, Julie Willits, Shannon Telenko, or Rachel Northamer.when the adviser's info comes up click on "make an appointment" find an available appointment time that works for you.
Appointments can be scheduled for no sooner than 24 hours in advance and no longer than 30 days out.
A minimum of 36 hours notice is requested for all appointment cancellations to allow another student a chance to take your spot. Please be considerate of advisers’ time and cancel as soon as you are aware that you cannot make it to your scheduled appointment. Should something critical arise in less than 36 hours, please still cancel the appointment and also send an email to the adviser letting him/her know why you are unable to attend.
Psychology academic advisers are available to meet with students pursuing the psychology major by appointment and students pursuing either the psychology minor or major via drop-in advising hours during the fall and spring semesters. In the summer, Psychology advisers are available by appointment only.
If you have brief questions or concerns that can be addressed within 10-15 minutes, you may stop by during drop-in advising hours. Always bring a current degree audit along with you. Examples of drop-in items include:
- Questions about the Psychology Minor - Psychology minors must come in during drop-in advising, please do not make an appointment for help with the PSY minor
- Review degree audits and/or courses scheduled
- Graduation checks
- Discuss Entrance to Major requirements
- Requests for course substitutions
- Discussion about late drop
If it becomes evident that you have more extensive questions or issues than you realized, you may be asked to schedule an appointment.
- Psychology Advising syllabus (pdf format)
- Schedule an Advising Appointment
(For assistance with how to schedule an appointment, watch this video.)
There has been a significant increase in e-mail interactions with students in the last year. Below are a few guidelines to follow when you write an e-mail to one of us, and to decide when you should:
- Only e-mail one adviser at a time and continue to work specifically with that adviser until your issue has been resolved (unless that adviser becomes unavailable). E-mailing multiple advisers with the same issue creates confusion and may delay our response to you.
- Include your name, a greeting (ex. Hi Melissa), and your 9 digit ID number (if you e-mail from your PSU account, your ID number is not needed).
- Please do not use text message lingo—we can't understand your emails if they include partial words. This is something you should get used to—your future employers will expect the same.
- We are happy to answer quick questions via e-mail. We will not, however, replace an advising meeting with e-mail correspondence. For example, discussing possible courses for the next semester is something that you should do in person, not through the computer. If we feel that something is too difficult to explain over the computer, or a reply would be too extensive, we'll ask you to come in and speak to us personally.
- Please limit your e-mails. If you have several questions, e-mail them all at once. Avoid sending multiple e-mails on the same day.
We'll do our best to answer your questions as quickly as possible, but we might not be able to answer them on the same day. We also do not answer e-mails during vacations, holidays, or weekends.