The Psychology minor can be a wonderful addition to many majors as it allows you to learn and understand people. Whether you are in education interested in developmental psychology or in biology looking at neuropsychology, you will be able to find courses to provide you breadth and depth to compliment your primary major while providing insight into the understanding of psychology.
To satisfy the requirements for the Psychology Minor, a student must complete 18-19 credits in Psychology.
- Due to high demand and the need to prioritize Psychology majors, PSYCH 301W is a controlled course. Minors must follow the procedure described here to be placed on the waiting list for 301W. Note that declaring a minor does not guarantee availability of courses (http://www.psu.edu/dept/oue/aappm/L-6.html)
- Nine of the 18 credits of PSYCH (including 3 credits at the 400 level) must be completed at Penn State.
- A letter grade of "C" or better must be earned in ALL courses counted toward the minor.
- Courses without a Psychology designation do NOT count toward the minor, even if they contain substantial psychology content.
- Research experience (294/494), internship (295/495), and independent study (296/496) courses do NOT count toward the minor.
In some cases, students who complete an appropriate methods course in their major may choose an additional Psychology course in lieu of PSYCH 301W. As of July 2006, only the following methods courses are approved for this purpose: BBH 310W, BBH 411W, COMM 404, COMM 420, HDFS 310M, HDFS 312W, and LIR 312.
Declaring and pursuing a minor in Psychology
You may declare your minor through eLion. It is important to note the following:
- Declaring a minor does NOT guarantee that you will be able to take specific courses, even those required for the minor. Due to demand, Psychology majors have priority for many courses.
- You must complete the prerequisites for PSYCH courses applied to the minor. These prerequisites do not always count toward the minor; for example, there is a statitistics prerequisite (STAT 200) for PSYCH 301W.
Students in the Psychology minor are not assigned a specific advisor in psychology, but are welcome to visit the Psychology Advising Center in 133 Moore Building for assistance concerning the minor.