How to Apply to Graduate School in Psychology
The Application Process
The application process is as follows:
- Please read the following list of Frequently Asked Questions BEFORE completing your application.
- Consult the Graduate School's "How To Apply" page:http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/prospective-students/how-to-apply/
- The Graduate School requires that all applicants file an electronic application available at the Graduate School Admissions and Program Information Portal.
For application fee information, please go to:
Applicants should not forward official transcripts directly to the department effective immediately. You must upload an unofficial transcript when completing your application. To those of you that are still in process the Graduate School will forward you instruction on how to proceed. If you have already requested to have your official transcripts sent to the Psychology Department we will be accepting and processing the transcripts like you were instructed to do when you started the applicants process.
What to upload with the graduate application
The following should be uploaded to the graduate application:
- A sample paper - upload onto application where indicated
- A statement of purpose - upload onto application where indicated
- Three (3) letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically by your recommenders. Once you have registered your recommenders in the online application, recommenders will receive an email that will guide them in uploading their letters
- Test scores - The Penn State Institutional Code for both the GRE and TOEFL exams is 2660
- The GRE Psychology Subject Test is not required -
- Unofficial transcripts
These documents are to be uploaded only. Please do not send or email your documents elsewhere, application materials not uploaded will not be accepted.
Important Items of Interest to the Applicant
Thank you for your interest in graduate study in the Department of Psychology at Penn State. Please remember that it is your responsibility that the department receives official transcripts and test scores by the deadline date. If your application is not complete, it will not be reviewed. The deadline date for Clinical, Cognitive, Developmental, I/O, or Social Psychology is December 1st.
It is not possible for us to to contact you concerning missing materials, so please make sure your application is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) by Prospective Students page to learn more.